Wednesday 17 December 2014

Keeping active in colder months

One of my resolutions for this year was to be more physically active, and become stronger and fitter, following on from a long period of inactivity due to health. In summer I really enjoyed talking long walks, which was especially spurred on by lovely bright sunny weather, having a dog for a few months who required regular walking, and the promise of ice cream if I made it far enough. Roll around autumn/winter, dark nights and cold weather, and I have found that being curled up on the sofa with a hot drink is much more appealing than venturing outside and doing some exercise.
In light of this, being active in these colder seasons takes a more concerted effort. 

Here are some of my favourite ways of staying active:
Dog walking or just walking! I love this as it's a gentle option and doesn't involve any pre-planning other than grabbing your coat, boots and gloves. In these seasons, I tend to walk more during my weekends and on days off as it's very dark before and after work.

Swimming and aquaerobics is a great option since its an indoor activity, can be done no matter what the weather, and if it's dark outside. I particularly like aqua-aerobics as it helps keep me motivated to do a full hour of exercise, as the instructor is there to keep me engaged. The session I go to is really good as the instructor varies the excercises week to week, and usually incorporates a section of upper limb weight training, which I love as I really need to work on the strength in my arms.

A new favourite way to stay active is cycling. Liverpool has recently launched loads of city bike stands, all across the city. The premise of city bike is that you register online (which can be done via your phone), top up your account with credit, then go to a stand and pick up your bike. Bikes can be picked up and dropped off from different stands which is so handy. A couple of weeks ago, my sister and I rented bikes in the city centre, rode along the waterfront and dropped them off at a stand 5 minutes from my house. Also, these bikes are so comfortable to ride, they don't give me any wrist/upper limb pain which is amazing for me.


Fi x

No comments:

Post a Comment