Sunday 7 September 2014

Being content

Seeking contentment is something I have always struggled with. I tend to get very excited for the next stage of life, which can mean I feel dissatisfied with what I have, where I live, where am I in my life. It's not that I don't find joy in my everyday being - I am very happy. But sometimes I look back on situations and think that I didn't appreciate how great it was at the time. For example, when I lived in Aberdeen I went to school 2 of my best friends -  we saw we each other every day, spending many hours of the day together, and rarely going a weekend without hanging out. I was so blessed to have met such amazing friends there, and I so appreciated it at the time - but only looking back did I realise how good I really had it.

There are 2 things that I've read recently that got me thinking about being content. 

Hannah Maggs (www.hannahmaggs.co.uk) - who writes a blog/makes youtube videos, is a new mum, and has recently started a business - has spoken about the concept of blackout. 'Project Blackout' is a challenge to switch off the internet for a set amount of time, regularly, and spend time doing things without feeling the need to be updating facebook, instagram, twitter etc. Myself, I feel that I have to re-learn how to relax and spend leisure time, as currently my automatic way to relax is my grabbing the laptop and a cup of tea (sometimes for unhealthly periods of time). Whilst the internet is an amazing way of connecting with people, exploring interests and learning; an unhealthly proportion of it can exacerbate discontentment, feelings of inadequacy and make it seem like everyone else is living a more perfect, successful life than you.

During the same week as thinking about blackout, in church we studied Psalm 73, which describes someone who feels frustrated and discontent with their life, away from God. They are envious of those who have money, health, and seem to have no worries. However, the psalmist realised that all he was envious of was temporary. I took this passage as an encouragement to continue to trust in God; to look to Him for contentment and happiness,  and not be consumed by desire for material things and to know things that pain, stress, are only temporary. 

So in summary, I want to balance both enjoying each day, without internet dominating my time, or feeling reliant on it to relax; and try to keep perspective that God has all the big (and little) things planned out for me, and that truely being content will come from knowing Him more.

Fi x

No comments:

Post a Comment